Blog Background

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tacos Frescos



Ok, blah, I failed at posting a craft next. But here's the thing, I had time to post this real fast and I wanted to do so while it was still summer because they are so fitting for the season.

These tacos are so light and refreshing. Great for a light lunch or dinner on a hot summer day. I know my husband personally doesn't enjoy a heavy meal for lunch or dinner after working a long day in the heat. I made these last summer when I was pregnant and trying to make sure I ate healthy. Although, to be honest, that went out the window probably around 6-7 months when I started eating Cheetos on a weekly basis. Maybe not quite that often, but I did still make sure to eat healthy meals in between those naughty treats.

Serving size 2

Chicken:
2 chicken breasts, diced
1-2 cloves garlic
4 sprigs cilantro, remove stems and rough chop leaves. Set aside half to top tacos
1/4 cup diced red onion
approx 1/4 cup lime juice, I use the stuff in the bottle so not sure how many limes that is
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
ground sea salt and pepper (1-2 turns in your grinder)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 20-30 minutes while you prep other toppings for tacos. You shouldn't marinate this any longer because the acid in the juice will start to break down the meat.

(Not the prettiest shot)

Heat a large skillet on medium heat with a little olive oil and cook the chicken until cooked through. Do not add the marinade into the pan. It's ok if any garlic, onions or cilantro make it into the pan though. If you would like, you can add some more lime juice.




Toppings:

1 medium vine ripe tomato
1 ripe avocado
1 can black beans, optional


While the meat marinates, slice or dice your veggies. Heat your black beans while you cook the chicken.

Place all ingredients onto warm yellow or white corn tortillas.

As you can see in the first picture, I served a radish and cucumber salad along side the tacos. It fulfilled my need for something spicy and cool. Here is how I threw it together:

1/2 cucumber, peeled
4-6 radishes
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp water
2 tsp white sugar

Cut the half of your cucumber in half again, lengthwise. Then slice cucumber and radishes. Whisk vinegar, water and sugar in a small bowl. Combine all ingredients in the bowl.  If you prepare this first and let it sit in the fridge while you make everything else, it will allow time for the dressing to absorb and concentrate.

As always, if you try this recipe or any others, please send feedback. Most importantly, ENJOY!




No comments:

Post a Comment