Blog Background

Friday, May 17, 2013

Pirate Quilt for Baby Ramirez

Arrr Matey, a Pirate Quilt it be! 
(don't mind my daughter's tiny foot in the background)


To start off, here is the link to where you can find the pattern for this quilt. I was fortunate that my awesome mother-in-law had this pattern already and I made a copy of it for myself. 
The pattern is called San Francisco Window Boxes

For those of you who may not know this already, this is only my second quilt. I found that this pattern was very easy for a beginner like me. Despite the number of times I had to rip out some seams. I believe that was due to my lack of paying attention to some things. I highly recommend this pattern for anyone starting out. It's simple and I think it is a really great way to display any awesome fabric line you have discovered.
 I personally fell in LOVE with this collection by Riley Blake called, Pirate Matey's. Wishing we were having a boy so I could make a million things with this fabric! 
 

Here are some progress pics:



 I love playing around with how to match up the fabrics. I am such a stickler with things having to match a certain way.


Here are the strips all put together...just need to add on the border pieces.


Sadly, one thing you will notice that I ended up not doing on this quilt is the outer border with the patterned fabric.  I ran into a couple of issues and tried to mend the situation, but it just didn't work out. So I ended up just ripping off that outer border and leaving it with just the white border.


Here are a couple of the finished product. I sent it to my mother-in-law to quilt for me and she picked the perfect quilting pattern for it. I used plain black fabric for the binding and get this...



for the backing, I used a dark blue micro fiber plush throw. I got this brilliant idea from J's mom and grandma. This tends to be much cheaper, especially for larger quilts. It also makes them extra warm. What a genius idea! 

I think this quilt turned out to be a great size for a baby quilt, and although he got it just before summer, it will definitely last through a couple of summers. 












No comments:

Post a Comment