Blog Background

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Mmmm Fresh!


Delicious finds from the Farmer's Market.  Zucchini. Corn. Peaches. A pear (for Elise). 3 kinds of squash: butternut, spaghetti and acorn. Basil...oooh the sweet aroma! Beets with giant beet greens.
We love sautéed beet greens because they're a little sweeter than collard greens or chard. 

We also picked up this amazing sweet chili sauce that is made locally. It's similar to a tomato chutney with just a hint of spice. We imagine it will be great on burgers, or roasted turkey as a condiment. Or maybe even slow cooking some pork in it. Oh the possibilities. We may just need to stock up on a couple more bottles next time we go. 

Also not shown, fresh tomatoes of different sizes from a couple of neighbors. 

I get so inspired when we go to the farmer's market. It's so nice to cook with fresh veggies. 
Some of the dishes these great veggies will soon render themselves to: 

  • Homemade tomato sauce- fresh tomatoes and basil
  • Pizza Margherita- fresh tomatoes and basil again and that homemade sauce! 
  • Thai curry- zucchini and acorn squash 
  • Butternut squash gnocchi- butternut squash and basil 
  • Roasted spaghetti squash- I will tell you my trick for cooking this faster! 


I hope to provide you with several recipes for those listed above.  I have already started making my homemade sauce. I like to cook it low and slow, so I started it first thing this morning. I made sure to take several pictures! 

If you have a local farmer's market I urge you to support your local farmer's and treat yourself to some fresh fruit and veggies. Maybe I'm the only one, but I get so excited when I go. I'm like a kid in a candy store. 

Stay tuned for more recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment